top of page
Toronto Community & Culture Centre


  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube

After you arrive! 到达后!

Updated: Jan 30, 2023

Find Key Resources from Settlement Worker Assistance to Free healthcare services to child care. 查找从定居工人援助到免费医疗保健服务再到儿童保育的主要资源。
Chinese Version HERE 中文版在这里

City of Toronto Services

After You Arrive

This webpage is for information purposes only and is not maintained regularly. Please see the City of Toronto Website for the original and current content. Access Services in Your Language See the original web page at its source: HERE

311 311 provides residents, businesses, and visitors with easy access to non-emergency City services, programs, and information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 311 can offer assistance in more than 180 languages.

  • Call 311 to access services

  • Learn more about 311 provides information for newcomers in more than 30 languages.

Newcomer Welcome Brochure 新人欢迎手册 Download our Newcomer Welcome Brochure in English and learn about City services. Other languages

Apply for the Two Documents All New Canadians Need

There are two vitally important documents that all newcomers to Canada must obtain: a health card and a Social Insurance Number.
A Health Card is required to use provincial healthcare services covered by OHIP, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. All Canadian residents are covered for major medical and hospital costs by provincial health insurance programs.
A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. A SIN is issued by the federal government to one person only and cannot legally be used by anyone else.
Learn About Immigration Status and City Services The City of Toronto provides services to residents regardless of their immigration status. When you apply for or use City services, City of Toronto employees will not ask about immigration status unless it is required by law.
Review the identification requirements for commonly accessed City services or call 311 if you would like to speak to someone about your eligibility for a specific program. Get Support from a Settlement Worker Settlement workers are available at City Hall (100 Queen Street West, main floor rotunda) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, to assist newcomers with the following free and confidential services:
  • Accessing interpretation or translation assistance 获得口译或笔译协助

  • Help to find training and career-building opportunities

  • Information and referral to other community services, schools, and healthcare

This program is offered in partnership with the Toronto Settlement Collaborative, made up of Catholic Crosscultural Services, Centre for Immigrant and Community Services, CultureLink, North York Community House, and The Neighbourhood Organization. Drop by or call 416-338-0688 to book an appointment. 顺便拜访或致电 416-338-0688 进行预约。

You can also meet with settlement workers at Newcomer Services Kiosks across the city. Learn about other settlement worker programs. Need more information about settlement worker programs?

Access Free Health Services There are free health services available to you and your family from the City of Toronto no matter how long you have been in Canada. Find out about financial help to pay for health and medical related expenses like dental care, assistive devices, and eye care. Learn about health resources for uninsured Torontonians through the Wellesley Institute Health Network. Find your nearest Community Health Centre and access integrated health care, language, and settlement programs specifically for newcomers, even if you do not have a health card.

Get Accreditation for Your Expertise Professional Accreditation

There are some professions where you need to be registered or certified in order to work in Toronto or Ontario. This is especially true for professions where you must show proof of experience or aptitude, such as medicine, accounting, engineering, teaching, and nursing. Learn about getting your credentials assessed in Canada and how to work in your profession or trade. The Province of Ontario’s Office of the Fairness Commissioner ensures the credentials of internationally trained professionals are evaluated fairly and transparently. Academic Accreditation

Many immigrants arrive in Toronto with plans to attend schools, universities, or colleges. If possible, please bring your high school and post-secondary transcripts (written documents) with you to Canada to help speed up the application process to Toronto’s School Boards and Ontario’s Colleges and Universities. In Toronto, there are a variety of schools, universities, and colleges that can grant diplomas or degrees and recognize foreign education credentials comparable to Canadian standards through a credential assessment service. There are other organizations that also deal with professional accreditation:

  • World Education Services (WES) is the authorized credential evaluation service for the Province of Ontario.

  • The Comparative Education Service at the University of Toronto is another credential evaluator.

Find a Job

  • Check out City employment services and programs available to Toronto residents.

  • Visit Toronto Employment & Social Services locations to get help with your job search.

  • Visit the Newcomer Job Seekers section for info on City services specifically for newcomer employment.

  • Explore the section Jobs at the City to learn about current opportunities to work for the City of Toronto.

  • Find employment and training services being offered in your community.

Find Housing

  • Visit the Neighbourhoods & Communities section to explore where in Toronto you would like to live.

  • Check out the Finding Housing page to learn about subsidized housing and renting in the private market.

  • If you are a refugee or refugee claimant, register to access the H.O.M.E. Portal.

  • Learn more about housing in Ontario.

Make sure your potential neighbourhood is well-connected by transit:

  • Learn about the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) which runs the buses, subways, and streetcars in Toronto.

  • Check out Metrolinx to learn about transit options connecting to regions beyond central Toronto.

Find Child Care Toronto’s licensed child care system has over 1,000 centres and 19 home child care agencies providing early learning and care for children up to 12 years of age. The City supports quality programs that promote healthy outcomes for all children.

  • Search for licensed childcare

  • Get help with the cost of licensed childcare

Find a School for Your Child Publicly funded education for children is available in Toronto, in both English and French.

  • Search for an elementary school (junior kindergarten to Grade 8)

  • Search for a secondary school (Grades 9 to 12)



bottom of page